Recipe of the Month
At Living It Yoga we are all about feeding the Body, Mind and Soul - and that includes enjoying food that is both full of nutrients and deliciously tasty, too. Please find below our suggestion for a simple, tasty recipe to make and enjoy at home!Tomato Soup
(From allrecipes.co.uk, with thanks!)
Ideal for using up a glut of tomatoes at this time of year.
* 2 tablespoons butter or spread
* 1 onion, roughly chopped
* garlic (optional)
* 1 tablespoon plain flour
* 600ml (1pt) chicken or vegetable stock
* 450g (1lb) tomatoes
* 1 tablespoon tomato puree
* fresh or dried basil (optional)
* salt and pepper to taste
Prep:10min › Cook:1hr › Ready in:1hr10min
1. Melt butter gently in saucepan. Add onion and fry gently until softened (add garlic along with, if you are using).
2. Add 'good' tablespoon of flour and stir and fry on a low heat, stirring, until it's a sandy texture. Be careful not to burn!!
3. Add the stock a little at a time, whisking to keep smooth, until all stock added. Then add tomatoes and tomato puree.
4. Cover and simmer on lowest heat for 1/2 to 1 hour (depends how hungry you are) until tomatoes are well and truly softened and the colour is nice and even. Be sure to stir a good few times to prevent sticking.
5. You now need to sieve the soup, pushing with the back of a wooden spoon, stirring and scraping to get all the juices through, then discard the pips, onion and peel.
6. Return to the heat for a minute or so and add basil, salt, and pepper to taste. Serves 2 to 4 depending on bowl size and appetites!
Could easily be made dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian or vegan without affecting the taste.